Thursday, June 03, 2004

Those Precious Years

George Tenet has "resigned" to "spend more time with my family" "nothing more and nothing less". It's a good thing he's doing it now, since his only child is only going to be in the house another nine months.
This is the most difficult decision I've ever had to make. And while Washington and the media will put many different faces on the decision, it was a personal decision and had only one basis in fact: the well-being of my wonderful family, nothing more and nothing less. Nine years ago when I became the deputy director, a wonderful young man sitting in the front row was in the second grade. He came right up to my belt. I just saw a picture of the day that Judge Freeh swore me in, and he's grown up to be (PAUSE)... anyway, the point is, so Michael's going to be a senior next year. I'm going to be a senior with him in high school. (LAUGHTER) We're going to go to class together. We're going to party together. (LAUGHTER) I'm going to learn how to instant message all of his friends. (LAUGHTER) That would be an achievement. (LAUGHTER) You have just been a great son, and I'm now going to be a great dad. (APPLAUSE) Thank God you look like your mother. You're damn good looking. (LAUGHTER) The most important woman in my life, whom I refer to as the home minister.

(LAUGHTER) Look, if I could tell you the number of times I get an elbow in the middle of the night about what I forgot to do for families at CIA and for our spouses and for our kids -- Honey, you'll be the best first lady this institution has ever had and I love you.

Now that's family values.

No comments: